Thursday 19 February 2015

A long over-due trip to Betty's tea room in York

Everybody in the English-speaking world knows about Betty's Cafe and Tea Rooms based in Yorkshire. After almost two years of living in York, I finally went for afternoon tea at Betty's located in St. Helen's Square after my mum  bought me a couple of vouchers for Christmas. 
Betty's is the most truly delectable English dining anybody will experience. If you're familiar with York, you will often see tourists and locals queuing up as early as 8.30am to bag a seat. The rumours about Betty's are true; it hosts the most unbelievable Afternoon Tea ever! 

Alex and I opted for the Afternoon Tea as we were feeling pretty hungry and wanted to experience the world-famous selection for ourselves. Firstly, they brought out a huge pot of tea with milk and sugar cubes. I am a sucker for sugar cubes, as I'm sure any avid tea-drinker is. The attention to detail is spotless. You really feel honoured and valued as a guest, which I feel is often over-looked in other places.

I am one of those people in restaurants who is constantly keeping an eye out for my food, but I really didn't need to at Betty's because the service was unbelievably quick considering it was quite busy. The Afternoon Tea at Betty's boasts a large selection of savoury and sweet treats. The selection of sandwiches were ham, egg mayonnaise, roast chicken and smoked salmon with cream cheese, but you can change these sandwiches if you have any dietary requirements. There was also a scone, clotted cream and the most fruity strawberry jam ever. The cake selection included a raspberry tartlet, an Engadine macaroon and a chocolate-orange fondant fancy. I am proud to say that I ate every scrap (almost). 
Alex and I looking pretty smug with our Afternoon Tea!

The whole experience at Betty's was charming. If you want a truly English dining experience, then look no further. The Afternoon Tea at Betty's Cafe at St. Helen's Square in York is priced reasonably at £18.95. I cannot wait to go back to try every cake on the trolley. Is it too soon to go again? 


No comments:

Post a Comment